Friday, December 12, 2008

Incredible Kruger

A few years ago I had the opportunity to visit South Africa on business. I flew in on Virgin Airlines from London to Johannesburg and spent a few days in Joburg before heading out into the country. I traveled by car to Durban on the Southeast coast. From their I drove up to a wonderful place called Mtunzini in KwaZulu-Natal to stay the night. We stayed in a bungalow in a heavily wooded area off the beach. In the morning I took a walk through the woods down to the beach. I was simply amazed at the amount of wild monkey's lining the pathways just sitting there observing me.

The next day I drove up to Richards Bay. I then took off north on the long drive to Mpumalanga, finally arriving at night at the White River Golf Club to stay for the night. The next morning we drove in to Kruger National Park for a Safari and there are simply no word to describe this fantasticexperience. All of the major African mammals and other animals roam this huge preserve and I was not disappointed. I had the opportunity to see the big six: Buffalo, Lions, Giraffe, Elephants, Rinos and Hippos... and many other animals in their natural habitat. Unfortunately, I did not get to wittiness the kind of drama that unfolded in the famous "Battle of Kruger":




But was very impressed non-the-less. From Mpumalanga I drove back to Johannesburg, stopping off in the Pretoria on the way to get a glimpse of the capital. 24 hours later I was on the flight back to London and then back to the States.

No comments: